
Fourth grade. Cherokee Elementary School. Guntersville, Alabama. 1984. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" LP was all over the radio airwaves, "The Cosby Show" debuted on NBC becoming one of the first shows to be called "appointment television" and the space program was looking for a teacher to send into space.
I am seated third from the right on the front row. Others in my class are: front row from left: Winn Beard, Lessie Summerlin, Renee White, Cindy somebody, Jennifer Chaney, me, Kristy Conner, Regina Kelley; second row from left: Eric somebody, Shawn Johnson, Whitt Taber, Jason Kelley, Crystal Love, Shewanda Griffin, Kristy Womack, Brandy Bolding; third row from left: Mrs. Ballenger, Carlos Amado, Randall somebody, someone I don't remember, Glenn Hager, another classmate I cannot recall, Wes Selvage, Matt Beasinger, and Steve Lang.
Mrs. Ballenger was one the best teachers I ever had. We took lunch in the classroom because the cafeteria at the time was too small for eat-in diners. During lunch she would often read aloud to us. I loved it when she read "Dixie North." If she wasn't reading, Mrs. Ballenger would sometimes let us have dance contests. The aforementioned Jackson album was always our number-one choice. My classmate Carlos was an exceptional break dancer, who regularly participated in statewide and regional contests, so it's no surprise he often won our lunch time contests.
Mrs. Ballenger always managed to take the time to explain to us individually our mistakes on tests. I still remember her outlining for me that it only takes one letter to make a county a country and how much time she spent desperately trying to help me wrap my brain around the multiplication tables after I'd performed horribly on another math exam.
Additionally, when I recite the presidents of the United States in order I do so by recalling the presidential display in her room. Lined up along the wall near the ceiling were pictures of all of our former commanders-in-chief each with their name, time in office and a little factoid about them under their portraits. Because of this display I know Howard Taft was the fattest president to hold office and Lincoln was the tallest. When a new president is elected to office I mentally file him in order on this display.
Mrs. Ballenger was very astute at allowing each student to find his or her own place in the class and encouraged us to learn in ways that were best for us. When we were learning about our city in social studies, she allowed me and some other girls in the class to create for extra credit an exhibit of some of Guntersville's landmarks from poster board, glue, tape and markers. I was in charge of making the Hammer's portion of the display, which was proudly hung in the hall for all to see.
Through encouragement from Mrs. Ballenger as well as my reading teacher Mrs. Isbell, I discovered my love of writing. In fact, it was in Mrs. Isbell's class that I wrote and illustrated my first book, "A Dancer's Life," which tells the story of Judith, a girl who achieves her dream of dancing with the Russian Ballet only to have her career cut short by a paralyzing injury that forces her to reassess her life and turn to teaching as a way to keep dance in her life.
Mrs. Isbell provided us with the hardback books we used, and all we had to provide was our imaginations. This book is one of my most-cherished possessions.Mrs. Ballenger, an Ohio Buckeye by birth, returned with her husband and son, Beau, to her home state after the end of this school year. Each of the students in the class provided her with our addresses in the hopes she would stay in touch with us. No one, as far as I know, ever heard another word from her.
To the best of my knowledge, Mrs. Isbell retired to her farm with her husband Stan, who was my reading teacher in fifth grade and another inspirational educator.
I have had many great teachers through the years: Becky Harris in first grade, B.J. Hammond in sixth grade, Rachel Bonds in seventh grade, Lynda Gayle Knight in ninth, tenth, 11th and 12th grade, Steve Stancil at Snead State Community College, and Drs. Eoff and Carmode and Rod Shirey all at Jacksonville State University. Each one played a roll in the woman, wife, mother and writer I am today. They all deserve a big "thank you" for the impact they've had in my life.
Maybe one day I can tell Mrs Ballenger the difference she made in my life.
Head over to My Tiny Kingdom to flashback with Anne Glamore and learn how drums came to be a fixture in her house.
You should definitely tell Mrs. Ballenger! I am still amazed at how teachers make such differences. They make or break a child!
ReplyDeleteI am surprised at your memory! I can barely remember to get in out of the rain!:) HA!