Friday, February 13, 2009

Flashback Friday: Love, Look at the 2 of Us

Christmas party 1988. I am 14. Jeff is 17. We were absolutely, in-all-honesty madly in love. He graduated the following May and joined the Army. Our romance did not flourish after this turn of events, and we went our separate ways.
Other people came into both of our lives over the course of the next three years, but karma obviously wanted us to be together because when I walked into class the first day of my second semester of community college - there he was. Unbeknownst to me, Jeff had completed his tour of duty and had returned home to cash in his G.I. bill.

My heart fluttered upon seeing him, but I tried to play it cool. During the next few weeks I came to look forward to each sociology class with giddy excitement because I knew I'd get to see him there. We talked before and after class, and I didn't learn a thing about sociology because I was too consumed with figuring out a way to get Jeff to pay more attention to me. In fact, I earned my first college "F" in that class.

It was worth it though because while I may not have earned a passing grade I did get Jeff. Not too long after we first saw each other he called and asked me out. On that second "first date," we had dinner at a now-closed Mexican restaurant in Gadsden, AL. Within hours we were an item again.

That was in 1993. We became engaged in 1996 and married in 1998. It was the best decision I've ever made. We've had our share of ups and downs since saying "I do" 10 years ago, and we can get under each other's skin like a bad rash; but there is no one with whom I'd rather share this journey. He is my rock. He is the yin to my yang. He is my true love now and forever.

To read more about Anne Glamore's Flashback Friday project head over to her blog, My Tiny Kingdom, by clicking HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story!
    Happy Valentines Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story always inspires me. I remember when you told it to me at the paper. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Great story!
    2. You looked FAB!
    3. I had that same dress!
    4. J.C. Garcia's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Saw your blog address on my Mom's FB- can you believe she is on???Anyhow....I am an avid blogger too. Nice to have a new blogger friend to read!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.