For me?
Today is National Housewife Day. I feel so honored to know there's a day set aside just for me and the other women like me. I wish I could share that I am celebrating by spending the day being pampered at a spa; but, alas, I am merely marking this day as I mark all others: by being the momma and housewife that I am.
Those of us who choose to stay home to raise our children and "keep house," as my grandmother would have said, are often unappreciated and undervalued. Truth be told, the very people of whom we're in charge of caring for are often the ones who most frequently take for granted the jobs we do.
Those we love most sometimes don't seem to grasp that without us they would likely be living in filth - or a much larger level of filth - without clean clothes and nutritious (as well as not-so-nutritious food) and chaos would reign because no one would be able to find a thing because there would be no system of organization in place.
While I try to be a "Polly Positive" most of the time regarding the road I've chose to travel in this life, there are days when I get overwhelmed and feel as though I am a pitiful example of a modern mother and housewife. But the majority of the time I am sure that this is the job I was meant to do and feel I am exceptionally good at it despite the fact I've had zero training except what I've received "on the job."
Being a mother is the one thing I know I am instinctively good at. I know I am a good writer, but I am trained at it and have a bachelor's degree and clip file to prove it. I am also a good pharmacy technician, but it took me 12 years of hard work to be able to say that. But, being a mom is something I've wanted to do as long as I can remember and something that comes naturally to me.
I've made the point before, but it bears repeating, that this is the best job I've ever had despite the fact the demands are constant, the job requirements can change in an instant and the monetary rewards are nonexistent. Even though I don't earn a salary, I do get paid in hugs and kisses. It's just too bad Walmart won't accept those in exchange for food and other goods. If they did, I'd never have to shop with a calculator again!
Happy National Housewife Day! Take a moment to enjoy the video. If you're a mom, whether you stay at home or work outside of it, you'll definitely be able to relate to this cute little ditty.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.