My great-uncle Boyd Martin was the baby brother of my grandmother, Lillian Louise Martin Bonds. He fought in World War II and was killed on April 17, 1943 while fighting in North Africa. My mother was barely a year old when he died so she didn't remember him, but she as well as all other members of the family grew to become keenly aware of how much my grandmother adored her brother.She was the keeper of his things and of his memories. In my possession, I have letters, postcards and photos that belonged to him that she lovingly and carefully saved. Although I have neither a brother nor a sister, I think I can understand the love between siblings by perusing all the ephemera my grandmother, affectionately known in the family as MaBonds, held onto.
Boyd is buried in Rock Springs Cemetery in Marshall County, AL. He forever lies next to his parents under a headstone inscribed "Nobly he fell while fighting for liberty." This coming July 4th take a moment, as I will, to remember those men and women whose lives were cut short fighting for the freedoms each American enjoys.
To read more posts in the tag photo game, check out Sandra's blog, which you can access by clicking: HERE. If you'd like to participate, follow the rules outlined below.
1) Go to your photo files… Select the 6th photo folder or album.
2) Select the 6th photo in that folder/album.
3) Post that photo along with the story behind it.
4) Then challenge some blog friends to do the same!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.