Amelia started kindergarten today. She was actually more excited than nervous and had no problem letting her daddy and I leave when the time came.
There was some minor drama this morning when I realized I'd left her snack at home and hadn't grabbed enough money for her lunch. However, I remedied the snack problem when I remembered I had snacks for Amelia stashed in Lola's diaper bag, and I was able to bum a quarter off of a friend so Amelia would be able to buy lunch.
The first week of school kindergartners have the option of leaving at 11:30 or staying until the end of school day at 2:35. I'd told Amelia I'd be picking her up at 11:30. Even though she was aware what time I was coming to get her, she wasn't happy about having to leave school because shortly after getting in the car she began crying and questioning why she was going home.
So, instead of driving her home, I drove back around to the front of the school, walked her back in her classroom and told her teacher I'd be back at 2:30. Amelia never batted an eye. She didn't even tell me bye, but rather went right to her table and began coloring.
When I picked her up later, the long day had gotten the better of her, though, as she announced she didn't want to go back tomorrow because "school takes too long" and because she didn't have a blanket at naptime. After we got home, though, she was able to get some rest and get some food in her tummy both of which served to assist in changing her attitude because at the supper table she said she did want to go back.
All in all, I think she had a really great day. She really likes the playground, loves getting to play "noodle swords" in the gym - even though she said she got "really sweaty" in there, is eager to go to the library and on a field trip, and seems excited about getting to read and learn math.
It's strange having her gone so long, and I caught myself feeling a little sad a few times - most especially when I glimpsed her beloved yellow blanket balled up on the bed where she'd left it. But, any sadness I feel is overshadowed by how proud I am of the fact she's excited about learning and happy to be attending school.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.