I was proud as punch to show her off, especially to the mommas, grandmaws and friends at dance school because they've all become like family to me and because each and every one of them offered up so many well-wishes and prayers for my little girl. I will never be able to say enough thank-yous to these and sooooo many other fine folks who helped me find the strength to make it through this ordeal with my sanity intact.
Some friends had already seen Lola either in person or in photos I've posted online so they were not surprised by her appearance, but those people who hadn't already gotten a glimpse of her were thrilled with her makeover, as I like to call it. A few of the kids were very concerned about her incision on her head, but each one was so sweet and politely asked what happened to her.
One child, a darling 3-year-old, hesitantly approached Lola, checked out her incision and then went back to her grandmother to let her know that "the baby hurt her head." Isn't that precious!
Lola returns to Children's Hospital on Friday for her post-op visit with Dr. Grant and Dr. Wellons. I am praying she gets a good report. I've been scrutinizing the daily photos I take to see if I can detect even the most minute problem. Of course, considering I am not a doctor and don't even play one on TV, I have nitpicked these photos to death and have twice asked my husband if he's noticed what are likely imaginary changes in her appearance. Jeff, ever the level-headed one, has wisely advised me to give it a rest.
Because so many of my loyal readers have loved getting to see the latest photos of Lola, I now present the newest additions to her photographic progression of healing:

The darkness under her eyes will fade more with each passing day, according to Dr. Grant and mothers of other children who've had the same surgery.

Her incision is continuing to heal beautifully, and her stitches are slowly dissolving.

"Hello, somebody, anybody? Will you please tell my momma to stop taking my picture?"

Most days Lola's right eye seems to be puffier than her left. but the area under her left eye is often darker than the area under her right eye.

This photo shows how much more apparent the puffiness is around her right eye. Because she sleeps on her tummy, she is always puffier in the morning and after naps. I am trying not to fret too much about her continued swelling and bruising because the doctors said it could take up to six weeks before it completely goes away.
I haven't been able to snap a good photo of it, but the bone above her left eye protrudes farther out than the bone over her right eye. Dr. Grant said he did this on purpose because the left side of her forehead will grow more slowly than the right so he is kind of giving the left side a "head start" (pun intended) so that both sides will eventually be even. This could take about five years he said.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.