Tuesday, March 10, 2009

School days, dear old golden rule days


The decision of where to send Amelia to kindergarten has been weighing heavily on my mind lately.

We live about three miles from a small K-6 school that I know nothing about other than the bus transporting students to it runs past our house everyday at 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Amelia has been excited about the prospect of riding the bus since she was three and figured out what that big yellow vehicle was for.

I've reviewed the school's annual report card through which I learned that almost 50 percent of the students attending received free or reduced lunch. These numbers, which are higher than the system average and almost as high as the statewide average, are an indicator of poverty.

I can deduce from these numbers alone that about half of the kids at the school are living in homes where education likely takes a back seat to making sure there is food on the table and clothes in the closets. Therefore, these children would more than likely need more attention from the teacher than Amelia who comes from a home, while not overflowing with cash, certainly doesn't fall under the category of poverty and who has parents who always emphasize reading, problem-solving and learning.

I don't want Amelia to fall behind or lose her love for education simply because she gets less attention because she's ahead of the others in her class. Now, I have no way of knowing this might happen, but it stands to reason that it could.

I am happy to see on the report that 100 percent of the teachers at the school are considered highly-qualified to teach their classes; however, that doesn't tell me a whole lot more about things like what methods they use to teach, what kinds of things they emphasize and how much time they devote to hands-on learning.

Reading and math scores are pretty good; although I am troubled by the fact that of 51 fifth graders tested 15.7 percent only partially met the standard and of 48 sixth graders tested 14.6 percent only partially met the standard. Those numbers seem high to me. Additionally, of 49 fifth graders taking the Alabama Direct Assessment of Writing 10.2 percent did not meet the standard and 35 percent only partially met the standard. Those figures trouble me.

I know no matter where Amelia goes to school Jeff and I will supplement her education by continuing to expose her to all kinds of learning experiences, reading to her and teaching her life skills. Therefore, I think she would flourish academically no matter where she goes so long as we take an active role in her education.

What's worrying me, though, is that I've been approached by more than one friend who would love for us to enroll Amelia in the school system that serves the city where she currently attends preschool. We LOVE our friends so much, and with the exception of one close friend, all her buddies will be going to this system next year.

I struggled socially as a child because my mom didn't work to nurture my friendships. I am working hard to make sure this doesn't happen to Amelia because I know from my experiences that if the parents, but mostly the mom, don't nurture these early friendships that they will wither and die. While I know making friends is not the reason children go to school, I also know that having good friends with whom you love spending your school days makes a big difference in whether a child likes of hates school.

Here's my problem. If I were to send Amelia to school in this system, we would not be supporting her education in any fiscal manner. I do not do any shopping in this city, and we do not live there; therefore, none of our tax dollars would be going to her school.

Additionally, she would not qualify for bus service so I would be charged with driving her to and from school every day. And, if I start Amelia there, it only stands to reason that Lola would be going there too. Also, I would have to eat some crow because for six years I have been griping and moaning because my brother-in-law and sister-in-law chose to send their kids to school in a system outside of the city in which they live even though the schools in their city are excellent, in my opinion.

Should we choose to enroll her to this system, Amelia would go next year to a kindergarten-only school. I know several parents whose kids attend now or have in the past and they all give it glowing reports.

However, its report card shows that a whopping 71 percent of students received free or reduced meals. That number shocks me. But, considering about half the student population is Hispanic, many of whom are considered transient and non-English proficient, it shouldn't surprise me that so many of the kids are living in poverty.

There is no data available on reading and math scores because federally-manadated testing is not administered at this school because it is kindergarten-only, but 100 percent of the teachers are highly-qualified.

So, based on this tiny sampling of information I've gathered on both schools, I am still confounded. I want Amelia to get the best possible education, and I know no school is perfect, but I also know some are better than others.

Maybe I will schedule visits to both schools to see if the principals can enlighten me as to why I should choose their school. In the meantime, I am hoping that having blogged about this will ease my mind somewhat so I can focus on other issues that are needing my attention.

3 comments:

  1. Visit the principal. No school is perfect. I know that from working in several systems (as well as the hubby being in various places all over this county). My next advice (and you know I speak my mind)---Eat some crow! Send her over here!!! But who am I to say anything....I'm just being selfish;) I want MM and Amelia to go to school together;)

    P.S. I loved the use of "common" in your comment today. That was so very "lah-ti-da" of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive me for being so opinionated. It's a fault. I know it.

    Also let me reiterate: No school is the perfect situation. You must do what is best for you and your family.;) Like I said, I am just thinking selfishly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My children have received reduced lunches for years. The 13 year old reads at the 12th grade level and the 16 year old is in Accelerated classes. As the poster above said, it is fairly easy to qualify for the lunch program. Visit the schools, meet the teachers and the principals, then go with what your heart tells you is the best fit for your child. She is going to flourish because she has loving involved parents.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.