Thursday, March 12, 2009

Confession session: That can't be true!


H
opped on the scales this morning and discovered that I've gained five pounds since last week. The number rose from 235 to 240.

I stood there stunned for a few seconds; but, after picking my mouth up off the floor, decided that this number cannot be true. I have convinced myself that those five extra pounds are water weight. "Aunt Flo" has been in town, and I always retain water like a camel getting ready for a long trek across the Sahara whenever this aggravating lady comes for her monthly visit. Additionally, I haven't been drinking as much water as I normally do, which would certainly cause me to hoard more fluid than normal.

That having been said, my weight loss plans were certainly not helped by the fact that last week Amelia and I made a homemade carrot cake complete with full-fat cream cheese icing. I did a good job of staying away from sodas and out of the fast food drive thru, but did not do a very good job of saying "no" to carrot cake.

While my addition of five new (or are they old pounds just returning to their home) pounds bothers me, I am more concerned about the fact my blood sugar numbers have been higher than they should be, about 30 points higher to be exact. This is cause for great concern because high blood sugar does a number on my whole system making me thirsty, extremely tired and more prone to catching opportunistic infections. I have got to work on getting by blood sugar under control.

I have been better able to focus on getting enough sleep at night since Lola is feeling better and once again sleeping through the night. (Hooray!) I hope to work up to getting at least 7 & 1/2 hours a night.

In addition, I have been really trying to recognize real hunger. Because I have always been an emotional eater, I've never really known what it's like to eat because I am actually hungry. Most of the time I've eaten because I am trying to fill some other void. Eating to simply feed my body is proving to be a challenge, but I am slowly learning to do a better job of giving it what it needs rather than junk I can live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.