My girls love hats, a love for which they come by honestly because I too have a thing for chapeaus. I don't wear them that often these days, but when I was a kid I never missed an opportunity to have a hat on my head. I have stacks of photos of me when I was little wearing everything from fancy Easter bonnets to cowboy hats to berets. I was a fashion pioneer, I tell you.
There are heaps of play hats at the house that the girls have picked up at various places and from various people, but I snagged these two recently at a discount store for the unreal price of $7. For the record, that's an amazing price for such frilly hats. Often such millinery confections cost considerably more.
While I don't spend my days shopping for bargains on hats, I was super-pleased with the price tag on these because Amelia was actually in the market for a new hat for school. (Lola didn't actually need a hat but got one because I didn't want them to fight over Amelia's hat and because she just looks so darn cute in it.)
In case you're wondering if Amelia goes to an uber-prissy finishing school where girls are trained up to be presented at debutante balls and are taught the fine art of dressing in hoop skirts and navigating through the world in hats as big as a table top, the answer is, no. She goes to a regular public school, but gets to occasionally sport some rather irregular clothes and accessories for different school-sponsored events.
Coming up next week at Amelia's school is the annual celebration of Read Across America Week. Each day of the week the students get to dress in accordance with a different theme derived from the book of the day., Wednesday will be the day students get to wear their favorite hats and learn all about the book "Caps for Sale."
Most kids at school will choose to wear some variation of a baseball cap, but my little attention hog loves wearing something that makes her stand out from the crowd. Last year she wore a Disney crown with Mickey Mouse ears on it. In preschool, she wore a 1920s-style lime-green hat that was covered with big pink flowers.
I think this year's hat will top all the others as for how much attention it gets her. She'll be as pleased as a pig in slop.
The pink one reminds me of one I had when I was a girl. For years it hung on the post of my iron and brass bed. I love hats too. Why don't we wear them anymore? Let's bring back the hats!
ReplyDelete