Thursday, January 8, 2009

This year I resolve to ...



1. Put myself back on my to-do list. Oprah recommended this on Monday and it really struck a chord with me. I know I am a better mother and wife when I take care of myself, but I tend to put me last, which means everyone suffers because I am angry over not getting time to do the things I love like reading, writing, getting a pedicure, sneaking off to a movie alone and doing crossword puzzles.

2. Make time to exercise. My dear, sweet husband did his part to make this easier for me because he cleaned up the "man-pit," which is what we call our home gym, so I can work out in there without feeling overwhelmed by the dirt and clutter and spending my time cleaning and straightening rather than working out.

3. Get a better handle on keeping my house clean and organized. I hate cleaning, but love organizing. I hope to do a better job of cleaning and continue working hard to keep everything in its place.

4. Work hard to eliminate toxic people from my life. These kinds of people do nothing but bring me down. I work very hard to be optimistic and confident. The last thing I need in my life are people who make it harder for me to be my best self.

5. Try to be more accommodating to Amelia's requests for my attention. I have tried to make her be a child who entertains herself, but I now realize, begrudgingly, that she is not that child. Rather than dropping everything to play with her, I hope to include her more in the things that I am doing. She loves to help cook and clean so I plan to put her to work while at the same time giving her the attention she desires so much. I also want to spend time doing crafts with her because she loves them and it's something we can do together that doesn't involve watching television - something we both do too much.

6. Work hard to stick to the Weight Watchers plan. I have never been one to adhere to any kind of diet plan; however, everyone I know who has lost weight and kept it off using Weight Watchers assures me this is a doable plan. Two days into it I am still confused and a bit overwhelmed, but I am going to try to keep with it for a month.

7. As part of the previous resolution, I plan to try to refrain from buying Little Debbie cakes, which are my strongest weakness; Keebler chocolate chip cookies and soft drinks. I love all of these things, but they are not at all good for me or my family; and they are what I crave when I am in the mode of seeking food to comfort me.

8. Start eating meals as a family at the kitchen table. We are horrible about eating in the living room while watching television.

9. Remember that Jeff needs hugs and kisses too. I spent a lot of time showering the girls with hugs and kisses, but some days find myself realizing I may have only kissed Jeff once and not hugged him at all. I expect a lot from him. I should at least be able to express my gratitude by showing him more affection.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I'm trying to lose the guilt associated with my "me time" too. We ALL need time to ourselves!

    2. Two words: Treadmill & Audiobook!

    6. You'll love WW if you give it a chance. It's a lifestyle change! Jason has lost 35 lbs in the last year and now craves healthy food, too. You can't do it alone.

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.