Friday, September 26, 2008

Thirty-four random things

In honor of my dear friend Sunny's 34th birthday, I have compiled my own list of 34 random things about me:

1. I love reading memoirs about dysfunctional families because they make me feel better about and better understand my own family, which is chock full of nuts.

2. My first job out of college was as a production, promotions and news assistant for The Rick and Bubba Radio Network.

3. I met my husband when I was 14 and in the 8th grade. We met in April pf 1988. I knew before the end of summer that he would one day be my husband. Just over 10 years later we were married.

4. I am so organized it borders on being obsessive-compulsive.

5. I have a skin condition called keratosis pilaris, which causes me to have raised bumps on my skin. It's gotten worse as I have gotten older. I unconsciously "pick" these bumps when I am anxious. I am trying desperately to quit because my arms, chest and legs look so bad.

6. I despise shaving my legs, but do it regularly because I hate even more how my legs feel when they are not shaved.

7. I don't make friends easily.

8. I have an unnatural fear of walking across old-time wooden bridges or suspension bridges for fear of falling through the cracks.

9. I still harbor bitterness against my momma for not quitting smoking and dying as a result of her choice.

10. Procrastinate horribly, but have gotten better about this since having children.

11. Am easily swayed by salesmen/women.

12. Indulge in a pedicure one to two times a month because I cannot cut my own toenails without causing them to become ingrown.

13. Considered entering pharmacy school, but backed out for fear of not being able to pass the math and science courses. Worked off and on for 12 years as a pharmacy technician instead. Loved it.

14. Love looking at great photographs by artists such as Annie Liebovitz, Herb Ritts and Scavullo.

15. Read "PostSecret" website every Sunday. Can often relate to the posts.

16. Love being a housewife, but hate cleaning house. Got burned out by my mom who seriously was a compulsive cleaner.

17. I am horribly nearsighted. Would love to be able to afford LASIK surgery,

18. Absolutely love the movie "Almost Famous" because it mirrors my teenage ambition to write about rock-n-roll for "Rolling Stone."

19. Suffer from sleep apnea and have to wear a CPAP machine to bed every night to keep me from stopping breathing while I am asleep. Hate it. Working to come off of it.

20. Have a dog, but am not a dog person. Daisy is really my husband's and daughter's dog. I am crazy about our lazy, fat cat Mojo.

21. Truly love PopSecret Homestyle popcorn. My local grocery store stopped stocking it so now I order it by the case from Amazon.com.

22. Held a grudge against two family members for 10 years. We've since reconciled and are closer than ever.

23. Rarely carry bills or change in my wallet. Use my debit card for probably 99-percent of my transactions.

24. I always make sure to send birthday, anniversary and Christmas card to family and my closest friends.I love getting cards so I figure others do too.

25. I cannot abide clutter. It makes me terribly anxious. Feel compelled to keep order.

26. Had a tubal ligation after the birth of my second daughter. Have no regrets about my decision.

27. Still sometimes use childhood words for objects. Example: quackalator for calculator, lumbo for umbrella, goosebus for school bus.

28. Think most of the members of my momma's family are self-centered. I work daily to be mindful of others because I don't want to be like them.

29. I cannot stand hypocrisy.

30. Love the look of flowers and plants, but have a terrible black thumb. Dream of having the funds to hire a landscaper to not only plant the gardens of my dreams but also maintain them.

31. Can watch reruns of "Roseanne," "Designing Women," "The Cosby Show," "Friends," "Malcolm in the Middle" and "The Office" over and over.

32. Keep the ashes of my mother and her cat on top of my entertainment center in their respective urns.

33. Worry terribly because we haven't yet made out our wills.

34. Have a recurring dream about being back in high school and being either unable to find or unable to open my locker.

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet Brandy!
    You and I are more alike than you think:)

    I have a hard time believing that you have a hard time making friends. At our first meeting this year, I knew you were going to be my buddy.

    I am so glad you joined the bloggy world. And that book you loaned me, well, I'm half way through it and that's saying something b/c I haven't finished in a book since January. (Side note: I'm a book worm and LOVE to read; I just have had a hard time doing so recently---it's the ADD / home renovation kicking in).

    Anyway, I'm adding you to my blogroll. So there. Have a good weekend!

    P.S. Isn't it funny how A and MM could be pushing each other and frustrated one minute and the next minute (literally) giving each other hugs. Oh to be 4 again!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.