Amelia asked me last week why I haven't been posting to my blog. I told her that I just haven't been inspired to write to which she replied, "Well, just sit down and write something." So, today I am taking her advice.
My blog has always been dedicated to my children. It's been a way for me to preserve for all time the memories, milestones and mundane things that comprise parenthood. So to say I haven't been inspired to write is kind of a misnomer because these girls provide inspiration everyday. In reality, I haven't been motivated to catalog the events of their lives because I've been occupied worrying about their lives most especially Lola.
I have attempted on a few occasions to put my thoughts into a blog post, but it's resulted in nothing more than unreadable gibberish and gobbledygook simply because my mind is full to the brim with concern for my youngest child.
Lola began preschool last September with much excitement and healthy anticipation. She is enrolled in the same school Amelia attended so she'd gotten tons of good reviews of this school from her older sister. Lola had a bit of trepidation, but not so much that she didn't want to go to school.
Everything was going smooth until mid-October when Lola clocked her first sick days that caused her to miss school. She missed five days of school due to the fact she was under-the-weather with vomiting, sore throat and a fever caused by, we assumed, a virus. Lola returned to school after this stretch of sickness no worse for wear and appeared more than happy to resume her academic career.
However, that first episode of illness was just the beginning of what has become a monthly event for which we have no real explanation. Almost like clockwork, Lola has missed several days of school each month since October with basically the same symptoms that felled her back before Halloween. In fact, she's been home sick yesterday and today with fever, nausea and nasal congestion.
November marked her missing three days of school. In December, she was home sick two days. January had her home sick for six days. February was our banner month during which she was only sick one day,. During March, Lola was home sick for four days, and now the calender has barely turned to April and she's been sick for two & a half days.
I have taken her to the pediatrician who, each time we visit, checks her from head to toe and reports she is just prone to catching viruses and that being able to battle them will strengthen her immune system. I don't doubt this man. He's a wonderful doctor who not only treats my children, but was also mine and my husband's pediatrician when we were children. However, my instincts tell me something more is going on.
I furiously researched her symptoms until I stumbled upon a syndrome that seems to be what she's suffering from. It's called Periodic Fever with Aphthous Stomatitis, Pharyngitis and Adenitis Syndrome. Basically, doctors seem to think this may be an autoimmune issue caused by a genetic problem. I haven't posed this to her pediatrician yet, but do intend to take her to see a pediatric gastroenterologist she saw when she was an infant because from what I have read other children have seen a reduction in occurrences and relief of symptoms after using Tagamet, which is a drug most often used to treat acid reflux from which she suffered for the first few months of her life.
To make matters worse, Lola is a severely anxious child. Like, so anxious we've considered getting her into therapy. Her biggest anxiety trigger is medical appointments or procedures. It all started a little less than two years ago when she had to have a Polly Pocket flip-flop removed from her nostril. That event was so traumatic for her that she now has a serious phobia regarding any visit to a medical professional whether it be the pediatrician, eye doctor, dentist or her pediatric plastic surgeon who corrected the craniosynostosis she was born with.
Lola's anxiety is so bad that even the mention of the word "appointment" sends her into a tailspin. I have gotten to the point that I do not let her hear me scheduling an appointment and do not tell her of an impending doctor's visit until the morning we have to go. The most recent visit to a doctor was when I took her to the dentist. The entire ride there she was fraught with worry and concern. She was an emotional wreck during the entire time the hygienist cleaned her teeth, which happened with Lola sitting bolt upright because she was so scared of lying down.
That experience has left me pondering whether I should wait until we arrive at a particular doctor's office so as to reduce the amount of time she frets. On the other side, however, I worry that waiting to tell her will increase the amount of time she spends throwing a fit or trying not to throw up - something which happens more often than not when she gets so anxious.
As if all of this weren't enough to be concerned about, we learned in early March that Lola needs surgery to correct muscle weakness in her left eye, which is related to her craniosynostosis. Now, we have to add another doctor to the list of those Lola hates to see, endure another operation and get her to follow-up appointments without her having a complete meltdown and throwing up all over the place.
Additionally, Lola's muscle weakness in her left eye is causing her to have double-vision. The doctor says it only affects her when she is trying to see things at a distance, which is why it's hard to get her to look at a camera when taking her photo because she's unsure where to look due to the fact she's likely seeing two cameras. However, I have come to believe that her eye problems may play a role in her reluctance to go to school.
Around December, Lola began proclaiming that she didn't want to go to school anymore because she "hates the work." She regularly lets us know that she would just prefer to stay home where she doesn't have to do work. The fact that she's been missing so much school due to this mystery illness doesn't help us in convincing her that going to school is a good thing.
Jeff seems to think she may be bored with the work because, like her sister, Lola shows signs of being academically advanced. He may be right. But, I wonder if being able to see the work is an issue despite the fact Lola says she sees it fine.
I have spoken with Lola's preschool teacher about all of Lola's issues and she has been so understanding and helpful. She is quick to help Lola when she seems to be struggling and guide her to projects to pique her interest when it appears to be waning. However, Lola still protests going to school everyday.
I am scheduled to register her for kindergarten this month and I intend to do so; but there is a part of me that wonders if she's emotionally and socially ready for "big school." I have talked with several people about whether I should enroll her for another year at her current preschool or even a different preschool or let her go on to the elementary school where her sister currently attends.
There is no real consensus on the issue so I will likely go ahead and get her ready for kindergarten and then see how it goes in the fall. If she struggles or expects to be able to visit Amelia over in fourth grade for comfort and assurance, then I can pull her out and try again next year.
All of this weighs so heavy on me everyday. It's taken a toll on my mind, body and soul. I worry almost constantly and stay in a perpetually anxious state. I have always been an anxious person, but seeing my child display symptoms far worse than mine and feeling unable to help her has sent my anxiety into overdrive. My focus has been so off these last few months that I've not been giving anyone - including Amelia and Jeff - or anything, such as this blog, the attention they deserve.
In the past, writing has served as sort of a cathartic release for me. Maybe I can do it more often as a way to cope with all I have been dealing with even though what I write may be exceedingly long and possibly nonsensical. Hopefully, I can find some resolution soon for both me and Lola. Goodness knows we need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.