Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hands are not for hitting

I found this gem on Pinterest and was touched deeply in my soul when I read it because it expresses exactly how I feel with regard to spanking.

I was spanked a lot as a child and thought it was as wrong then as I do now and felt then - as I do now - that it was a very ineffective disciplinary tool. I have never spanked my girls. I did spat Amelia's hand one time and swore I would never again raise a hand in anger to her.

I am also committed to preventing her - and Lola - from ever being hit by anyone else as a means of discipline, which is why those in charge at Amelia's school are fully aware both Jeff and I are morally opposed to corporal punishment and would sue the pants off anyone who dared to go against our wishes.

Hitting a child - or anyone for that matter - in an attempt to correct behavior is wrong to me on so many levels, and I will never understand why people defend doing so. In my opinion, disciplining without spanking takes much more commitment and has longer-lasting effects.

The person who originally posted this pin commented: "No one said the road of parenting would be easy; however, there is right and there is wrong. There are teachable moments and lessons within childhood; however, they don't (and shouldn't) come at the price of a spanking." I couldn't agree more with this sentiment and am proud to be a parent who chooses to dole out discipline without resorting to violence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.