Sunday, August 28, 2011

End-of-summer splash fest

While mowing the yard yesterday I could feel the air changing. It had a tinge of coolness to it that signals summer is drawing to a close and fall is on its way.

Despite the impending changes I felt, the heat has continued to be a bear lately, so even though the calender, and coolness in the air, say fall is close, it still feels as though we're smack in the middle of summer. If it weren't for the facts Amelia is back in school and we are able to hear the local marching band practicing every evening, I'd have a hard time believing summer was nearing its end.

Lately, the temperatures have still been way up in the '90s, but, thankfully, the humidity has taken a bit of a break, which is a blessing because we've been able to go outside without feeling as though we've stepped into the sauna at the local fitness center. Even Jeff and Lola, who normally weather the heat and humidity quite well and like being outside even if it's 493 degrees, have taken to staying inside under the air conditioning.

However, the recent tolerable outside conditions have allowed the girls more time to enjoy all the playthings in the backyard like the pool, swing set, jungle gym, playhouse and trampoline. We've spent a good deal of after-school time outside soaking up some good vitamin D and playing without the worry of melting into a sweaty puddle.

The girls especially love that they can still splash around in the pools. Yes, I said pools. We have a large pool that Jeff's brother and sister-in-law gave us after their kids outgrew it as well as a small pool we purchased for Lola to splash around in when she tires of being in the big pool. Turns out both Lola and Amelia love the little pool.

Two kids, plus one water hose and one kiddie pool equals lots 'o fun!


I love this photo of my sweet little water babies.
This is THE picture of relaxation.
Lola insisted I take photos of her performing "the biggest splash ever."
The girls decided to spread out their towels and catch some rays for a while. Lola claimed the teeny-tiny breeze that was blowing was making cold thus the need to use my towel as a blanket. 
As I am writing this, Jeff is outside preparing the pools for another day of fun. I am grateful we are able to provide our girls with such a nice respite from the heat and even more grateful that we are able to continue enjoying our pools this late in the season.

If Mother Nature continues with delivering to us this barrage of high temperatures, we may be able to use the pools well into November.

1 comment:

  1. Well, gosh. I may just go have to get a little pool. And we don't have kids or a pet any longer.

    We, too, will have a long hot autumn and this may just ease some tensions. (I hate the heat.)

    Thanks for the inspiration, and the oh so cute pics.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.