Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I think the classes are really paying off

Amelia has been taking art classes for a month and is loving them. I'd initially planned to enroll her in classes at a local museum, but those plans fell through. Lucky for us, though, a friend of mine from high school decided to teach classes once a week from her home.

This turn of events was absolute kismet because, unlike the museum classes, Amelia is the only student in her class, which affords her lots of one-on-one attention from her teacher. Additionally, my friend only lives about two miles from our house, and her son and Amelia are in dance class together so they get to see each other once a week even when dance classes aren't being held.

I am thrilled to be able to allow Amelia this extracurricular activity - especially since arts education is sorely lacking at her elementary school - but, more importantly, because she has a real interest in art and is eager to learn more about creating it.

Last week, Amelia and Ms. Tela, her teacher, began working on drawing the different parts of the face. Amelia was really motivated to pay attention and soak up all the instruction she could on this subject since drawing people is one of her favorite things (animals come in a close second followed by flowers).

Sunday night she asked me to pose for a portrait. I gladly put down the book I was reading ("Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me." Hilarious! I highly recommend reading it.) and sat still for my little artist. Here's the result of our session:

I can't help but gush about her work - especially since at 7 she can put my likeness to paper so well! I am equally happy about the fact she opted to not include my pimples and double chins in this portrait.

I intend to let Amelia take classes as long as she - and Ms. Tela - want to continue. Drawing and all other forms of art having been a serious interest of Amelia's for about three years. There's almost no case of boredom for her that cannot be cured with a pen and paper so being able to afford professional instruction for her is something I am delighted we're able to do.

Who knows - maybe this will become her passion in life? After all, she's had the dress and persona of an artist figured out for quite a while:

Here she is at age 3 creating, I am sure, a masterpiece. The hat, although bought at the circus, was determined by her to be the perfect artist's chapeau.

1 comment:

  1. So great! The girls are very artistic too, though the Lord only knows where they got the ability to draw and paint. It certianly didn't come from me or Ricky! LOL. Good job, Amelia!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.