For the last few weeks Amelia has been going around singing a song about the 50 states to the tune of "Turkey in the Straw." I thought she had maybe heard this little ditty on television, but it turns out it was one of the featured songs in her school's end-of-the-year program and ceremony.
In keeping with the geography theme, all the first graders at her school performed in the program while holding signs representing all 50 states, the seven continents and the oceans of the world while singing the aforementioned song as well as other catchy tunes that are still rolling around in my cerebellum. ("I've got the whole globe in my hands. The whole globe in my hands.")
![]() |
| Even though you can't see it here, Amelia is carrying the state of South Dakota while processing into the gym for the program. |
Amelia racked up the awards during this shindig.
![]() |
| That's a look of pride if I ever saw one |
![]() |
| She got so many certificates that she had a hard time holding on to all of them. |
I was so proud of her and beyond excited. I love that we find out at the same time as our kids what awards they've earned. It makes it so exciting for all of us. Anyone who attended this shindig was well aware of my high level of excitement because I was the momma down front snapping photos like a crazy person while shouting, "Yay!" "Way to go!" "Good job!" "Woo Hoo!"
Amelia enjoyed a fantastic first grade year. She was blessed to have an exceptional teacher who encouraged her to push herself and be the best student she could be. Additionally, Amelia was able to make friends with a couple of little ladies with whom I hope she's able to forge friendships that last throughout her school years and maybe beyond.
It's actually kind of hard for me to wrap my head around the fact my first born is going to be a second grader come August. I am blessed and lucky to be her momma and thrilled that I get to enjoy this academic journey with her. I just wish our trip didn't seem to be passing so quickly. I suppose we need to make more of an effort to slow down from time to time to savor these times because they'll be behind us before we know it.



I LOVE her cute shorts. Sucker for plaid.
ReplyDeleteI love, love, love Madras plaid! I bought her three pair of these shorts in different colors as well as a Madras dress and skirt. I am now in search of some Madras shorts for me, but am having a hard time finding any since plus-size clothing designers apparently think big girls don't want to be stylish.
ReplyDelete