Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Look who's rolling on two wheels

I cannot believe I've let this news happen without reporting it: Amelia has finally mastered the art of riding her bicycle without training wheels! She's been tooling around on two wheels for a couple of months, but I just last week remembered to snap a photo of her doing so. Getting to this point has been no small feat considering Amelia basically taught herself how to ride without training wheels. Having inheirited by hard-headedness, Amelia refused to allow Jeff or I to offer advice or assistance in her quest to ride sans training wheels. Since I keenly understand the desire to accomplish a goal all by oneself, I also know the tons of pride one feels upon having mastered the task at hand. I think it's evident by the smile on her face in the above photo that Amelia is immensely proud of herself.



Prior to receiving the two-wheeler from her cousin Payton, who logged a good many miles on it before passing it down, Amelia's main mode of traversing the driveway and carport was this tricycle, which we got from Jeff's former boss. This tricycle, which Amelia named The Super Bike, was built to last, I tell you. When we got it the thing was over 20 years old and had survived being run over by a mini-van. It was red, but Jeff painted it pink for our little princess and added the basket, a bell, a horn and a new seat cover. Although Amelia has a bicycle, she's still able to ride The Super Bike and does so from time to time just, I guess, to mix things up. I have no doubt the ever-sturdy Super Bike will last for Lola to get lots of enjoyment from it. Heck, this thing may even last to become an heirloom to be passed onto the next generation. I swear, I've never seen a tougher or better-built tricycle.

Amelia's very first tricycle was this pink and purple Radio Flyer we gave her for her third birthday. It took her a while to get the hang of pedaling; but once she did, there was no stopping her. She's way too big to even attempt riding it these days, but it's the perfect size for Lola, who loves it despite it's faded paint and missing streamers.


 Apparently, Lola intends to follow in her sister's footsteps and teach herself how to ride anything with wheels because she outright refuses to allow anyone to help her figure out how to propel this tricycle or any other mode of transport. Last week I was trying to get her to understand that she must place her feel on the pedals and push when she screamed, "No! Leave me 'lone! I do it!" I backed of and watched her scoot the tricycle up the driveway Fred Flinstone-style while realizing she too has inherited my stubborn streak. Oh well, she'll get it eventually and when she does, I'll be ready, camera-in-hand, to capture her prideful smile for posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.