Friday, October 22, 2010

Oh, how she loves them!

Jeff and I took the girls on Tuesday to see three of their cousins at their final football game of the season. We didn't stay very long though because a random thunderstorm forced us out of the stadium and back home. I was so aggravated because it hasn't rained in weeks here, but the sky opted to open up on the very night we venture out to see the kids in action.

Getting out of the house on a school night is rare for us anyway because we're slaves to our routine and our world seems to crumble if we don't adhere to our schedule. However, we made an exception this week because we wanted to show our support for Carson, Kelsey and Zoey - or "the triplets" as they're more commonly known in the family.

As I drove into town Jeff remarked about every 2.5 seconds that it looked as though it was going to rain. However, I pressed on because this was our last opportunity to see the kids perform this season. Plus, Amelia was excited beyond compare to get the chance to see her cousins.

We arrived shortly after kick-off and quickly found the triplets' parents as well as Grandmaw who'd also made the drive over to see her eldest grandchildren take the field. We'd barely gotten settled on the bleachers when the rains came. At first it was very minimal, but soon umbrellas were unleashed as Mother Nature dropped her bounty upon us.

We got to see Carson decked out in his gear standing on the sideline. That's him wearing number 60 pictured below. Jeff learned from his brother Scott, the kids' dad, that Carson actually got to play the entire second half. I hate that we missed seeing him. Maybe we can catch a game next year.


We'd hoped to see Zoey and Kelsey perform with the band at half-time. Zoey plays the flute in the band, and Kelsey is a majorette. However, the band director made the decision early in the second quarter that the band would not be performing this evening. As a former band geek, I was really looking forward to seeing them marching as was Amelia who's never seen a marching band live and in person before. 


Amelia did manage to squeeze in some brief quality time with Zoey, above at left, and Kelsey while Jeff and I enjoyed some nice conversation with Scott and Grandmaw. 

Right now, these girls are Amelia's heroes. They're 13 years old, and, as far as she's concerned, very worldly and mature. She looks up to them so much and would love to seem them every day, but at present only gets to see them on holidays or if they make a random appearance at Grandmaw's house when she also happens to be there.

In about two-and-a-half years these kids will be driving at which time Amelia will be eight and likely still over-the-moon crazy about them so I am hopeful they will take it upon themselves to drive to our house occasionally to see this little lady. Don't get me wrong, Amelia also loves Carson, even though, shy boy that he is, I don't think he's ever spoke more than six sentences to her in her entire life; but it's these gals of whom she's most enamored.

I hope my girls can always have special relationships with their cousins because these three as well as Parker and Payton, who are the children of Jeff's younger brother, are the only first cousins they will ever have. I am an only child so there will be no first cousins from my side, and I am estranged from the majority of the people in my momma and daddy's families so my children will never know family from my side.

Presently, my focus is on making sure Amelia and Lola understand that regardless of what happens in the future with their extended family they will always have a loving and accepting immediate family here in our home. Having the same love and acceptance from others in their bloodlines will just be a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.