Monday, September 13, 2010

Our little explorer

 Digging in the dirt is one of  Lola's favorite outdoor activities. I figured I'd let her use this planter to play in since I cannot seem to get anything to grow in it.

Ever since Mother Nature decided to turn the thermostat here in Alabama down from scorching hot to merely mildly sweltering I've been trying to spend more time outside with Lola. 

She absolutely loves getting to play outside and is content to explore our yard to find a multitude of treasures like rocks, leaves, sticks, seeds and "pop combs," which is her term for pine cones. I usually spend this time relaxing in a chair on the front porch reading one of the many magazines I subscribe to but rarely take the time to sit down and read. 

Getting to read in peace while Lola occupies herself is truly a luxury for me because I never got to do this with Amelia. Oh, I took her outside, but, from an early age, she needed to be entertained or directed in her outdoor activities. It's like she just didn't grasp the concept of finding something to do on her own, and she's like that to this day. 

This little personality trait in Amelia used to both worry and frustrate me, but seeing how happy Lola is just to escape the confines of the house lets me know that Amelia's dislike for the great outdoors is just part of who she is just as Lola's love for it is part of her. 

Truth be told, Amelia gets this quirk from me. I spent plenty of time as a child outside playing, riding bikes, building clubhouses and getting into all sorts of things, but I always did so with my friends who lived across the street. I never cared to venture outside by myself in search of something to do and neither does Amelia.

Sadly, Amelia doesn't have any children who live nearby with whom she can play outside; but, on the upside, as Lola gets older, Amelia is learning to enjoy playing with her more and more so, hopefully, Lola will one day be able to be an outside playmate for Amelia and show her all the wondrous things that are to be found just outside our doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.