Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Say what?

This morning while driving Amelia to school I shared with her that after talking with daddy we've agreed that she won't need to go to swimming lessons this summer.

"But why? I love swimming lessons!" cried Amelia from the back seat.

I was stunned by her reply because she has done nothing but complain and whine about swimming lessons since she had her very last one way back in July. In fact, she's been so against returning to swim class that we've had a running countdown of how many days are left until classes begin again just so my little worry wart will have ample time to fret. Today we stand at 124 days left.

"What? I thought you didn't like going? Plus, daddy and I think you're doing so good with help from us that you won't need official lessons this year." I said as calmly as possible while contemplating if I should pull the car to the side of the road in order to have both hands free to rub away the tension that was building in my temples. 

"Mommmmma! I want to try going off the diving board all by myself. Plus Ms. Kim needs to see that I can swim all by myself in the deep, deep water," Amelia said, clearly agitated that I would dare suggest she not enroll in lessons this summer.

"Okay. Swimming lessons it is," I replied while doing little to disguise my utter shock at her actually desiring to attend classes that just a few months ago it seemed she would have cut off her own legs in order to get out of participating in them. 

I swear, though, if we get to class and she starts freaking out and announcing she hates swimming class, I may just push her off the diving board myself rather than wait for Ms. Kim to do it. 

 
Amelia, with a gentle push from Ms. Alex, completing a much-dreaded jump from the diving board during last summer's lessons.

1 comment:

  1. I am not even believing my ears! I am with you thought she hated it... But I can see her wanting to almost "prove" she is over the fear and just do it. Kids- they are always keeping us guessing. I hope that she loves it this year:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.