Today is my momma's birthday, but she's not here to celebrate because she died almost three years ago. Momma would have been 68 years old today. I still miss her like crazy and continue to hang on to some bitterness that she's not here because she couldn't quit smoking - a bit of resentment that I may never be able to let go of.
While I miss momma immensely and wish she were here to mother me, my heart truly breaks for my girls who don't have a grandmother, or any grandparents for that matter, on my side of the family. Amelia knew GranJan for almost three years and occassionally mentions that she misses her, but Lola will never know my mother, a fact that makes me ache with saddness.
I've shared a pictoral history of momma using some of my favorite photos of her. I'd give almost anything if she were here today to pose for a birthday portrait.
Momma, age 3, front left; her momma, Lillian Bonds, top left; her daddy, Layman Bonds, top right; and her big sister, Gayle, lower right. 1945
From left: momma, age 11; her baby sister Teresa; their momma, Lillian; and big sister Gayle. 1953.
Momma in 1964.
Momma and daddy 1978. Daddy died at age 43 just nine years after this photo was taken.
Momma 1983
Me and momma 1998
Amelia and GranJan December 2006. Our last Christmas with momma.







Thank you for sharing your photos with all of us! I feel like I have meet your mother by you being so willing to share. I pray for strength to be able to help you girls through today and to continue GranJan's memory. We love you and are thinking about you!
ReplyDelete